In my last post, I showed some photos I'd taken at the Leach Pottery in St. Ives - and promised I would document my own studio in a similar way.
It's been an interesting little exercise, which made me look in a slightly different way at the stuff I use every day. I've mainly focused on tools - there's something nice about the bits and pieces that are used in the process of making.
Of course, this visual snapshot doesn't show the piles of yarn, piles of knitwear and piles of paper also surrounding me...
I seem to be using up all my words on my thesis (6 chapters done now!), conference papers (available here), book chapters and funding bids at the moment. Not too much brain-space left over for blog posts!
So here's a visual blog post, from my visit to the Leach Pottery in St. Ives last month. I found it quite moving to be in the former workspace of a maker I have read a lot about - and particularly special to see the homemade tools, and little odd unexpected things, around the workshop.
On Thursday, I'll do a follow-up post documenting the tools and such around my own studio...
I felt it was time for a thesis update. I started writing up on 1st January, and I'm aiming to finish by 1st July. (That's a bit of a stretch goal, but it's how I roll.)
When I started, I made myself a colour-coded time plan for the first few months/chapters, the like of which has not been seen since GCSE revision days. I'm still on track, though I've fallen off the colour-coded bandwagon now. A few weeks ago, I decided I could jettison a whole chapter, and two weeks, from my plan - but then realised the same content would need to pop up in other chapters.
So, now I'm aiming to have the first four chapters finished by the end of March, or thereabouts. It's going well, as the structure of those chapters is firmly in place. It's just that the skeleton needs fleshing out in places, and to do this, I need to finish my transcription marathon and also hunt around for some references.
Today, I delighted myself by making a new diagram, showing the sessions in my research, the topics and activities covered, the chapters these topics/activities contribute to, and the research aims the chapters contribute to. It's helping me to think ahead to the later chapters, which I'll start in April.
Meanwhile, the thesis cardigan is coming along nicely. As my end of March deadline represents half of my writing time, and the first four chapters will take up half of the 80,000 words I have to write, I'm aiming to get half of the cardigan, aka the body, done by the same time. Here you can see it knitted up to the armhole... very satisfying.